COVID-19 and Online Learning

Courtesy of Vecteezy

Due to the current outbreak of the Covid-19 (Corona) Virus outbreak students all around the world have been forced to turn to online learning programs. According to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), over 160 countries have implemented nationwide closures, impacting more than 87% of the world’s student population.

In the past two weeks, there have been multiple announcements suspending attendance at schools and universities. UNESCO has also claimed that over 421 million children are affected due to the closing of their schools. Countries like China, South Korea, Italy, and Iran have been heavily impacted by the new “home-schooling’ method.

The spread of the virus has also revealed the importance of building resilience while facing threats from disease, to extremist violence, climate insecurity, and now technology. For some educational partnerships this transition could grow further after the pandemic “Online learning is something new to all of us, which we will be adjusted with time, but I believe regular school has greater advantages,” Victoria Lazo-Romero, Sophomore, said.

Even with the change, there are advantages to learning and working from home.

“Having online schooling is a new and interesting way to continue learning during our current global crisis. Online learning allows you work at your own pace, without the interruption of others around you, as well as take breaks when you need to,” Avrianne De La Rosa, Sophomore said.

The socializing that is normally found in a school environment is lacking with e-learning.

“I honestly don’t really enjoy online learning I would rather talk to a teacher or be in a classroom this quarantine is driving me crazy I don’t enjoy staying at my house its boring I don’t get to see my teachers or my friends,” Cecilia Ibarra said.

Online learning will be an inconvenience for many people around the world, but for some it may be more comfortable. Let’s all just do our best to stay safe and hope for the best.

The photo above has the percent of concerns that online platforms will have on students and even adults.