California School Shooting

Back to Article
Back to Article

California School Shooting

Courtesy of ABC News

Courtesy of ABC News

Courtesy of ABC News

Courtesy of ABC News

Aliyah Hernandez, Staff Writer

On November 14, 2019, another school shooting occurred at Sauges High School in Santa Clara, California. 2 students have been declared dead, Grace Anne Muehlberger, 15, and Dominic Blackwell, 14, and three wounded. Among the surviving victims is an unidentified fourteen-year-old girl, a fourteen-year-old boy, and a fifteen-year-old girl.
What happened?
At 7:38 AM, the suspect, who was identified as Nathaniel Berhow, took a gun from his backpack and began to shoot at 5 people, killing a sixteen-year-old female student and wounding four others. Many students began running to classrooms, barricading the doors and using textbooks to shield themselves. One student grabbed a metal water bottle in hopes to defend himself as he and his classmates hid under desks.
After shooting his classmates, the shooter shot himself in the head, causing him to be in “critical condition”. A little after the suspect came into custody, a fourteen-year-old boy died in the hospital. While police are reviewing the footage of the shooting, the suspect’s girlfriend and mother are at the station, waiting for more information.
According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, there seemed to be no motive behind the shooting. According to some students, Nathaniel Berhow wasn’t a loner, or socially awkward. He was a student athlete that everyone knew, shocking the students.
Once the gunshots rang, the chaos began.
“I just started running. There were girls falling in front of me and I tried to help them up, then just kept running ‘cause I didn’t want to get hurt either,” sophomore Brooklyn Moreno said.
There has been talk about gun reform, but nothing has been done to help prevent school shootings.
“It’s a terrible, inappropriate, event. I mean we haven’t really passed any meaningful gun safety regulation in 25 years,” Former US President Bill Clinton said.
The next day, on November 15 at 3:32 P.M., suspect Nathaniel Berhow, died in the hospital due to the wound to his head.